Just went out and got some wheels that hold air and will allow us to progress in the rest of the project.
The Right Tool Matters
After how much we tried and failed to remove the steering wheel, and then trying the puller that Autozone rented use and failed to work. I then researched for the answer to our problem, and it was a much simpler and cheaper tool. It is called a puller as well but was built much simpler. We ordered one and then made a quick stop by to try it out. The tool worked out even better than expected and the wheel was off in seconds rather than the hours or more we had tried to remove it in. I will do a review of it and its simplicity was the key to its success.
Where to Start?
A midday day start that lead to another midnight finish. We arrived and quickly decided to check out the engine. Then moved onto removing the gas tank to check out the fuel lines. This proved to be quite the task, and this was Luke and I starting to remove the bolts to free the fuel tank. While we did this Tom and Devon removed a few pieces from the engine, and then cleaned out the interior. Once Luke and I had removed all of the bolts that held on the engine; we then enlisted the help of the others to remove it. After that it was a trip out for food and tips on how to clean the engine. We realized we needed a lot of new hoses to get all of the engine parts to function as well as get gas from the tank to the engine. After lunch it was a full on project to clean the interior and assess the rust damage.(Mostly located on the drivers side floor board that will need to be cut out, and have a plate put in.) Otherwise it was in great shape, and with all of the electronics for the most part minus sound systems working we don't have a lot of hard work to do in that area. We tested the spark plugs, and a few other systems in the jeep. We then cleaned the seats and began planning what are next move would be. Our wort experience was that no matter what we did our used we could not get the steering wheel off. So we just hack sawed it off so we could work on the dash and console free from the body. While all that was going on it is a continuous treasure hunt around my grandfather's property for parts and tools. Stay tuned for one more update before summer kicks off completely.
A Decade of Problems
Well the day to put in some real work has come, We arrived and quickly went to work. It began with us hosing off the engine compartment and then clearing a lot of junk out of it. We decided to try and pull the doors off and went 1 of 2 and then pulled the spare tire off. Then we set off to Home Depot to get some WD-40 as well as a tow strap. Back to work we went with the job off moving it a huge goal. Our first try ended in failure. We then decided to pump the tires up and dig out the wheels. Then we gave it another go and it moved about 3 feet. After that attempt we discovered the steering had locked up, and that the rear right wheel was locked and not spinning in neutral. We began our nasty work in the mud to remedy both of those problems. The first was the rear right wheel where a lot of WD-40 and elbow grease go the job done. Then onto the steering; this required a lot of time and energy. The breakthrough came when we put the front end up on jacks, and then had Tom kicking the wheels and Myself cranking on the steering wheel. This caused a huge bang and then the wheels were free to move. We then proceeded to set up a battery charger and then check all of the light and stereo which worked great for not being used in a decade. Some more WD-40, and some cleaning up of the Jeep lead us to discover some light bulbs which we installed. Then our 12:30 AM incident came, and we had decided to make sure the steering was working. Well the steering had locked up again, and we began the same process as before. Except this time when it broke lose the horn began to go off uncontrollably whenever you move the wheel. So we went in and unplugged the horn so it would no longer have this problem. Something we will just have to deal with in the future. We then called it a night. The next morning we began our work on getting out of the backyard where it had been left to decay more than 10 years ago. This took us a little over an hour to negotiate my truck and then the Jeep out of the back yard. After some more gas and muscle had been put into moving it we had it in the garage. Then off came the doors and the top again. We then assessed what we needed. Once we returned, we put new spark plugs in and attempted to unsuccessfully siphon out the old fuel. A few more things to do and then we were done for the weekend. 4/26-4/27/2014
Info Gathering Photos
Just a day to take some photos get sizes of a few things. Plus assess superficial damage. This appeared to be limited to some rust, and sun wear on the vehicle. This meant that all major components appeared to be there and hopefully with a change of fluid it might just roar to life. Of course a new set of tires to get it in the garage would help.
Jordon Bogat, Luke Mollnow, Thomas McCrill